Saturday, July 17, 2010

Aspen Grove

Every other summer we go to Aspen Grove for a big family reunion with all of Don's family, thanks to Don's Grandma Wilma. It is up Provo Canyon by Sundance and it is beautiful! There were 110 in his family there this year. It was fun to see everyone because a lot of them we never see. It is a great vacation because there is so much to do--hiking, rock climbing, swimming, crafts, mini golf, fishing--but the best part is just being with family for a whole week! Our kids love being with cousins and second cousins that they probably wouldn't know that well if it weren't for this reunion every other year. They are put in groups by age and have SO much doing different activities during the day. Elle was in the Cub group this year and Easton was in the Kitten group. They loved it! Our brother-in-law says that when you are at Aspen Grove seeing your kids is like a deer sighting--you see them in passing and know they are ok. :) One of the nicest things for me is not having to cook or do dishes for a week! Each night we had a big family devotional and got to learn something about Grandma Wilma's life. She has had an amazing life and has done so much for so many people. She really has left such a legacy. I had no idea what a "heart breaker" she was either. :) We played all day and then stayed up really late after the kids were in bed playing Rook, which is HUGE in Don's family, and ate lots of treats! So fun!






Grandma Wilma and her husband, Don Kirk


FRONTIER NIGHT
One night is called Frontier Night and they have a whole western theme with train rides, shooting targets, lassoing, a whole cowboy village to play in, an Indian teepee with stories, etc. Elle and Easton loved it!


Jayne and Sum on the train


Cousins Mitchell, Blake, Trevor, Travis and Spencer


Elle and Easton with their feathers they got after hearing the Indian story in the teepee


Panning for gold


Snowcones...mmm


Elle loved trying out the lasso


Shooting targets




Little Jayne gives the best hugs!



Easton with his second cousin, Jonah, that he became best buddies with


It was hilarious watching these two fight! They would say, "I got you good!"



Nate is so cute with Easton. Easton says that he wants to be just like Nate because he is really good at sports!



Grandpa Don loves his little Jayne


Baby Jayne and Daddy


RANDOM FUN



Jayne loved the teeter totter! It was so cute!


Elle, Easton and Mitch making funny faces


Mini-golf was a big hit with our kids! They wanted to golf all the time!



Easton's group got to try rock climbing one day and I went and watched. I was so proud of him for trying it. He got pretty far up the wall and did great!



It was so fun for all the kids to swim with Don and show him how well they were doing with their swimming. Jayne loves the water too!


How funny are they?


HIKING
Hiking to Stewart Falls

Stewart Falls- Ken, Don, Sum, Devin, Lei, Diane and Don


The waterfall was huge!


Hiking to First Falls


Don and Sum at First Falls, on the way up to Mt. Timp


GOLF TOURNAMENT
There is always a big family golf tournament and it is so much fun! I am definitely not a golfer but it is "Best Ball" so sometimes I get lucky and have a good putt once in a while to contribute with.


My swing looks a lot different than Don's and definitely doesn't go as far. It's fun though!


Our foursome-Don, Sum, Norm, Diane


SUNDANCE
Don and I had to go to Sundance being so close to it. I love it there! This is the exact spot where we got engaged almost 10 years ago! Crazy!!!


We took a chairlift ride


ART SHACK
Trevor, Mitch, Elle, Blake painting


We got to do a class on the pottery wheel and it was so fun!


Our finished pots--Jeremy, Devin, Lei, Sum, Amy, Auralee


ROOK
We played Rook every night late into the night. Don's family has their own way of playing that their Grandpa came up with so it has taken me a while to learn all the little tricks but I love game so it is fun! This particular game, I have never laughed so hard! Natalie was my partner and Don and his sister, Auralee, were partners. I bid 100, and Don bid 105 just to make me mad. So then I bid 110, just to make him mad. So I took the bid for 110,which is really hard to make. He just laughed and said they would set us. I got the best widow every though and made it. It was so funny! We all couldn't stop laughing the whole night! Don was cracking us up!


More Rook--Tami, Diane, Glenn, Ken


Thank you Grandma Wilma for all the fun memories!

3 comments:

heather said...

This looks like sooooo much fun! Your pictures are incredible. LOVE the family picture at the beginning of the post. So cute! Hope Jayne is feeling better!

kecia said...

seriously ...just when you think Jayne can't get any cuter....she does! that pic of her on the teeter totter is SOOOO adorable!! Not to mention that I either have the outfits she has for my girls or I have wanted them, like the yellow dress....I wanted that from target and never got it! So cute on her!

Irene's Blog said...

Wow Summer! It looks like so much fun! I'm so glad you & Don are able to enjoy such great times with the kids & Don's family! What a blessing to have this legacy to pass on with all those awesome memories! Love you, Mom Irene