The other day, while the kids were having fun with Grandma, Don and I decided to run some errands. I was in a store when a little boy ran up to me, wrapped his arms around my legs and gave me a big hug. It caught me off guard but it was the cutest thing and I never turn down hugs. I expected that as soon as he looked up and saw that I was a stranger, he would run away. This has happened before with other kids who have grabbed onto me thinking I was their momma and then got a little scared when they realized I wasn't. But, this time was different. He looked up and gave me the biggest smile and kept hugging my legs. I immediately recognized those sweet almond eyes and knew that he had a little something extra, just like my Jayne. And then I felt that love that I feel every time I see a child with Down Syndrome. I was drawn to him. His brother, probably about 10 years old, came running up and said "I'm so sorry." I smiled at him and said, "It's OK. I have a little girl that is 2 that has Down Syndrome." Then he said, "Oh, so you understand." I definitely understand. I understand the incredible love that children with Down Syndrome have to give. I understand the joy and sometimes frustration of raising a child with special needs. But mostly, I understand how blessed we are to have Jayne in our family. I was so grateful to this little boy for reminding me just how lucky I am. I wanted to pick him up and give him a real hug...and so after asking his mom if it was ok, I did.
It was such a little thing but it made my whole week!!!
(This sweet little boy was 5 years old and had just been adopted by a very loving family. How lucky are they?)
Monday, April 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
how sweet! We NEED to get together somehow...soon! Maybe we could try lunch one day...with or without kids....if it would EVER stay warm we could do a park!
So cool!
Post a Comment