I couldn't help but smile as I read of the neat experiences and the blessing of having a child with Down Syndrome. I was reminded again of the sweetness Jayne brings to our family and all that we have learned from her. I love seeing her grow and learn each day and get so excited when she learns something new. Her little personality is coming out more and we love it! She waves at everyone, is starting to blow kisses and is even doing some signs.
One blog, in particular, really captured my attention and I couldn't stop reading. It tells about this sweet little baby's birth and one mom's journey as she comes to accept that her daughter has Down Syndrome. Because her baby is only a month and a half old, the emotions and feelings are still pretty new. In a way, there really is a mourning for that baby you thought you were going to have and fear for what the future will bring. It is hard to have this sweet little baby placed in your arms and then to hear only minutes later of all the problems and life-long challenges they could possibly have because of Down Syndrome. It is unfortunate because, as a friend wrote on her blog, your baby gets a label before you even get a chance to really bond with them. It took me right back to just over a year ago when Jayne was born and my heart ached for this little family. It made me appreciate just how far we've come, how much we've grown and all that we have learned in one short year. I wish I knew then the incredible joy that was just around the corner.
I had no idea that reading other people's blogs could be so healing. It is nice to know that we are not alone and that there are other families who have the same feelings and worries that we have. Don and I haven't had a lot of interaction with anyone that has Down Syndrome so we didn't know what to expect when we had Jayne. Reading other people's blogs has helped me so much and has given me hope. They help me to know that Jayne will be ok and that there is so much to look forward to. Sure, there will be challenges, but there are for all children. Jayne is just Jayne and she is ours! We love her so much and are so grateful for all that she has brought to our family already!
(If you ever want to read an really neat blog, check out the blog link at the bottom called, Enjoying the Small Things. She will inspire you, make you cry, laugh and smile all at the same time, plus it has the cutest photos.)
2 comments:
Those are such darling pictures of Jayne! She is growing up so quickly and is such a doll!
i love these pics of her too and I totally agree! The blogs are GREAT therapy! I love it...and I often cry while reading them!
Post a Comment