Friday, March 4, 2011

A little bit discouraged...

I'm a little bit discouraged...I have accepted the fact that Jayne may not be on the same time line for reaching milestones as my other kids. I knew she wouldn't be walking by the time she was one. For some reason though, I put this idea in my head that Jayne would walk by the time she was two. I had heard somewhere that two was the average for kids with Down Syndrome to walk so I thought it was a reasonable goal. Jayne turned two and she wasn't walking. So then I thought it would happen for sure in the next month or two. Nope. Her therapists say she's close. But she's been "close" for a while now. She has the strength. She has the balance. It's all a matter of her deciding she really wants to. In other words--finding the right motivation. But, how do you motivate a two year old? A sweet, cautious, adorable, stubborn two year old? She's perfectly content scooting around on her bum or walking along furniture to get places.

I know it will come...eventually. But the wondering and waiting is sometimes hard. And I can't help but wonder if motivation is really the issue. The thought that maybe there's more I should be doing keeps creeping into my head. Maybe I'm missing something. I try to work with her and encourage her whenever I can. (We play Ring-around-the-rosy, walk with a hula hoop or stuffed animal while I hold the other side, bounce on a stability ball for more core strength and balance, and have plenty of toys she can push while walking.) But I have two other kids, a husband and a household that I need to take care of too. I do my best. But what if that's not enough?

I know I shouldn't be so anxious because I do love that she has stayed a baby longer. I love that she still lets me hold and cuddle her. I love playing with her and want to enjoy every minute because I know it will go fast. I know that I will look back 2 years from now and long for these days. But I can't wait for that victory when Jayne walks across the room. I can't wait to see her face when she realizes she is doing it on her own. And, I can't wait for that feeling of relief knowing that our efforts do make a difference. We need those little victories. They give us hope. It is in those moments that I feel like we really did make it to Italy.
I mean, we absolutely love Holland. Who wouldn't? It is a beautiful place. But it's nice to visit Italy sometimes too.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Funny, both playgroups where I have interacted with Jayne, I didn't even realize she wasn't walking yet. Max just started walking - not quite full-time yet. His motivation - a ball. We take him to the church gym and let him chase a big ball around. Our PT suggested hippotherapy (horses) at
http://www.couragereins.org/ in Highland, UT.
I was thinking about trying it out this spring/summer, since Max never crawled, he supposedly needs that back and forth motion. Good luck.

heather said...

Crap! I just left the longest comment and then it went to an error message when I tried to publish the comment. I'll just have to tell you in person. Or try again tomorrow when I'm not so tired. :)

kecia said...

Oh Summer, you are AMAZING and you are doing GREAT with little Jayne! She will get there soon, but I know it means so much when they reach these milestones for us so I hope you get to enjoy it soon...I am sure she will just click with it one day! I think it is so hard to find these balances of doing all we can, and feeling like it is enough. Hang in there! You and your family are doing great! I am so sad we missed seeing you tonight....instead I spent it at the doctors with Bree! Let's reschedule soon!

us said...

I love reading your posts Summer. Keep being patient... easier said than done, right? I love the pictures of all the fun activities you do with your kids. Cookies, painting, valentines, and on and on. You are a truly inspiring and perfect mom. That must be why Jayne chose you!