All the kids that enter the contest get recognized at the assembly and receive an award of participation, but Elle and Easton both really wanted to win. We had gotten an e-mail a few days before the assembly saying that one of the kids won an award but didn't know who. We didn't tell them about it. I was really nervous because I didn't want the one who didn't win to feel bad. I kept telling them both how proud we were of them and that it was ok if they didn't win because they did their best.
When Easton's name was called saying he won the Grand Prize in the Visual Arts category for K-2nd grade, he was shocked! Don and I were both so happy for Easton but immediately started to worry how Elle would take it. (She is pretty hard on herself.) But then, I saw sweet Elle turn to her friend and say, "That's my brother!" She was so proud and excited for him. She is such a good sister!
Elle got a participation award and was so happy for Easton. They are best friends!
Elle with her Visual Arts entry
I love what Elle wrote about her picture. She has such great friends and I'm so happy that she sees diversity in a positive way. I couldn't be more proud of her!
Easton's art
I asked Easton to describe his art and I wrote what he said--
"The sun is yellow, the sky is blue, lots of flowers with colors, different bugs and birds and different people. That what it (diversity) is. It looks cool too."
I love what he said. Diversity makes our world look "cool." He is such a cute little boy!
(He didn't win at the district level but was still happy.)
No comments:
Post a Comment