I remember so clearly the day she was born--feeling so relieved and happy when they placed her in my arms for the first time. She was finally here! I remember thinking how much she looked like Elle--dark hair, long eye lashes, a cute little nose and a dainty mouth. Those first moments were perfect. She was perfect and she was ours! Then I heard those words that I will never forget. "Is she ok?" I heard Don ask the nurses. My stomach dropped and worry immediately started to overtake the overwhelming joy I felt. A heaviness filled the room because no one would really answer the question. The nurses kept dodging the question with comments like, "She's got long eyelashes." Finally, my doctor came over, after looking at Jayne, and told me "You have a beautiful baby girl. I’m not a pediatrician but she appears to have some of the physical characteristics of Down Syndrome…” I don’t remember much that he said after that. The second I heard the words Down Syndrome, I began to cry and didn’t stop for the next couple of days. I finally got to hold her again and just kept looking at her, trying to see what everyone else seemed to see. She looked just like my other kids to me. Surely, it couldn't be real. I cried and cried and Don kept hugging me, reassuring me that everything was going to be ok. I remember going to sleep that first night in the hospital and getting woken up by the nurses telling me that Jayne had been rushed to the NICU for her oxygen levels. I remember Don and I both waking up the next morning wishing that it had all been a bad dream. Neither of us knew anything about Down Syndrome and we were scared. And it made it so much harder because we couldn't hold her.
I wish I could go back to that day and understand what I do now. I wish I could go back and tell myself that everything really was going to be ok--that our world now just had a little more clarity, a little more purpose, and A LOT more beauty. I wish I could tell myself how much joy and happiness sweet little Jayne would bring to our family. I wish I could tell myself how much better and stronger we would be as a family because of her and what she has taught us. I wish I could tell myself of the amazing people we would meet and of the experiences that we would have because she is part of our family. I wish I could have pushed aside the fear and worry and let myself feel the overwhelming love that filled my heart the second I saw her. I am SO lucky I get to be her mom! I can't imagine our family without her. Words can't express how much we love her! She is our Jayne--that same perfect little girl that was placed in my arms when she was first born. She just has a little somethings extra. :)
PRINCESS TEA PARTY
To celebrate our little princess's birthday we had a princess tea party with a few of her close friends. She loves to dress up and loves to play tea party so it was perfect! Elle really wanted to be there for the party and so I took her out of school at lunch so she could come. I am so glad we did because Elle was amazing! Jayne was being sort of grumpy all morning until Elle got home and then she couldn't wait to get dressed up with Elle and get ready for her party. She loves her big sister! Those two have a special bond that is so sweet.
When all Jayne's little friends arrived, Elle was dancing and twirling with all them, showing them how to curtsy and bow and was the perfect party hostess. It was so cute to see her being so sweet with all of them. The girls decorated princess crowns, had a tea party and then opened presents. It was a really fun party!
Jayne with her friends
Decorating crowns
Sisters
Tea party
Cake bite treats
Opening presents
FAMILY PARTY
We had grandparents over a couple of days later to celebrate. We had dinner and then Jayne got to open some presents. She's a pro at ripping open wrapping paper and gets so excited no matter what it is.
Elle, Jayne and Easton at dinner
Elle made Jayne a sock puppet and Easton gave her a pretty pearl necklace
Don and I got Jayne a new dress up. Jayne was so excited to put it on and twirl...and then she was ready for the next present.
She loves her new book!
We love our little girl!
Grandma Diane and Grandpa Don got Jayne the cutest soft dolls
Yep, Jayne loves them! Can you tell she loves to dance?
Grandma Irene gave her this cute little Rapunzel doll
Happy Birthday Jayne! We love you so much!
Jayne's favorite things:
-Her binky and blankie that she has to have when it is time for bed or when she needs a little comforting
-She loves dolls and babies and is so cute giving them bottles, changing their diapers and rocking them to sleep
-She loves her beauty/make-up kit and carries it around as a purse. She always asks me to "sit" as she pats the ground next to her and she will curl and brush my hair and put make-up all over my face
-She loves to dress-up and will put on dress ups, crowns and carry around wands
-She LOVES to dance and will start twirling or shaking her hips and arms whenever there is any music playing
-She loves books--Fancy Nancy, Princess books, and anything girly
-She loves the IPad and will sneak into the office to get it. She also likes to get Don's IPod and hides it under her shirt and runs to her room. She is so funny!
-She loves her family and loves to have family hugs! (She has a sweet little bond with Grandpa Don too and will cry for him sometimes when she is sad. It is so cute!)
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Jayne! She is the cutest in every way!
Post a Comment