Thursday, January 26, 2012

Jayne's 1st day of Preschool

Jayne started preschool right after the New Year and she was SO excited! It always makes her a little sad when Elle and Easton leave for school with Daddy and we say goodbye. So, she was really excited when she got to have her own backpack and go to school with them. We all went together on her first day. We dropped off Elle and Easton first and then drove to Jayne's school, about 10 minutes away. She kept "talking" about her backpack and had to hold it in her lap the whole time. We pulled up to the school and told her where we were and she started cheering. It was so cute! Don and I both took her by the hand and walked up to the building along with all the other parents walking their kids up. She was so excited that she was giggling! She smiled for a picture and looked so cute with her backpack on that is almost as big as she is. All the aides and her teacher were waiting outside for all the kids to get dropped off. Her teacher came up and said hi to her and then one of the aides came up and said, "Oh, I can tell I am going to be in love. She is so cute!" It immediately set my mind at ease to see how sweet all the teachers are and how endeared they already feel to Jayne. They all seem so warm and kind which is just what Jayne needs and deserves.



As soon as the doors opened and we walked inside though, it all changed. She saw all the other kids holding on to the rings on the rope and the parents saying goodbye and she turned around and tried to walk back out the door. We tried to steer her back toward the other kids and she flopped on the floor on her tummy and then she started to cry. Her cute teacher said she would take her but Don and I decided that we would walk her to her classroom on her first day. I was having a little bit of a hard time just dropping my baby off too so I was happy to walk her down to her class. She was a little nervous until we got to the classroom and then she saw all the toys and activities and walked right in. She didn't even bother to say goodbye. She was busy exploring her new classroom.


(She's in the back, by the block center)

Pick-up time couldn't have come fast enough that first day. I was so excited to see her and hear how her first day went. I wish I could have just watched from the window, but that would've been a little weird.


She came walking out with the other kids and then ran to me and said, "Mama!" There's nothing better than that! She gave me the biggest hug and then ran off to the play ground while I talked with her teacher.

Her teacher said that she had a great first day! They read the "Three Little Kittens" book and painted a mitten. They did music and movement for their large group activity and Jayne played at the kitchen center during her play time. She said that Jayne is still getting used to the routine but that she will get it and that she definitely has a mind of her own. I agreed and said she is strong willed. All the teachers love her though!

Since then, it has just gotten better and better. Jayne is always excited for school. Her teacher and aides love her and are so cute with her. Jayne happily goes in with them. She is learning to follow the routine and is interacting with the other kids during play time. I get a paper every day that tells everything they do and where Jayne plays so I always know what she is learning. They read cute books, play math games, do shape activities and I love that there is a speech therapist that is in the classroom a lot. She brings home the cutest painting and art projects and is happy when I pick her up. She LOVES school and is having such a great experience!

2 comments:

kecia said...

LOVE the new family picture! Love the preschool post! I can't believe how big she is! She is cuter me cuter all the time! I miss seeing you guys!

heather said...

Wahoo! So glad it’s going well. I know what a stress the schooling can be. Getting a positive start is so important. Way to get in her in a preschool with loving teachers and aides!